I started working on an old Ork Stompa that I have had for quite a while.
The model itself I got half-painted and half assembled about 2 years ago and it has sat collecting dust since then.
So, with a burst of activity, and to provide some welcome break from my Imperial Fists now my Dreadnoughts are quite done, I’ve begun to focus on more things again to make way for newer releases. Read the rest of this entry »
I actually finished painting him up a few weeks ago, and I’m pleased with the effort I put into him. I was going to post more progress on him but I’ve been very busy recently and so have only just got around to it, while sporadically working on the model.
I had some trouble with this model, due to a bad Finecast mould. Read the rest of this entry »
Slow progress with the pair of Dreadnoughts continues at my usual glacial pace.
I’ve since begun with painting, using my airbrush to get a nice even coat across both models and beginning with base detailing. So far its just Dark Metal and some Leadbelcher to pick up the metal bits before doing the other base colours. Other bits to pick out will be the purity seals, scrolls, skulls and lenses. Read the rest of this entry »
I’ve been a bit busy recently and have even been a little bit ill for a week, but over the past few weeks I put in a couple of evening hours for the hobby cause.
The Dreads have been magnetised with 3mm magnets to provide them with swappable weapon options, and I usually try to get magnet shenanigans complete before getting into the painting stage. Read the rest of this entry »
Last week was a busy gaming week for me. Sunday was the annual UK Games Day, of course, I played a total of 3 games of 40k in 1 week and had loads of fun doing it!
2 of the 3 games were against a Sisters of Battle army that came all the way from Scotland to grace me with their brutal presence. The other was against a regular adversary of scary Tyranids which appear to get more difficult each time I play them.
To say the least, I learned that Sisters of Battle are pretty tough and have an odd angle within the meta of 40k. They are relatively squishy when compared to Orks but pack a mean punch with lots of fast and maneuverable units packing bolters and flamers in abundance. Read the rest of this entry »
After painting up my 5 (Of 15, soon to be 20) Assault Marines, I’m waiting to get a box of Vanguard Veterans to make a complete Assault set, but I thought I’d try something different before doing more.
So next up to be included in my mighty Imperial Fist army are 2 Dreadnoughts that I’ve had for a little while. The first is an old Black Reach Dread that has been sitting lonely looking very sad for a very long time, and the second is a newer Venerable Dreadnought that I’ve had for a few months still boxed up.
So I’ve already got them out and glued most of the bits together.
For this model I’ve watched and rewatched the airbrushed Dread tutorial by BuyPainted on YouTube, which is very good.
I’m planning to magnetise these babies and see how well that works…
This could be because the new Space Marine Codex is been released, but really this is been long overdue as this particular unit of 10 Assault Marines have been sitting on my desk for nearly a year… Shameful, I know.
Still, lately I’ve had a renewed lease for painting thanks to some fun new people I’ve gotten involved with who also play Warhammer 40,000.
I’ve been getting involved with a gaming group in Den Haag recently called ‘The Lodge’ and they seem like a nice bunch of guys who get together once a week.
The club is run by a couple of Dutch guys and they seem chilled and enjoy playing any and all games including 40k, and they seem to have a long-standing and loyal following (which is always a good sign).
When I visited I was greeted warmly and spectated a few different games that were ongoing (Magic The Gathering and 2 separate games of Tie Fighter).
Anyhow, back to the models.
These guys still need a lot of work, but they’re coming along:
Now that I have an airbrush its a huge step forward and above the Army Painter sprays.
As for these Assault Marines, I’ve not been very happy with their beginnings due to the fact that I used Army Painter Desert Yellow spray on them with disastrous results. The models lost a whole bunch of detail and I’ve been very displeased with how they came out and focused my hobby elsewhere…
At this point, I’ve decided to just get on with it, as I dont think I want to try stripping them (I’ve read Army Painter doesn’t strip well and leaves a mess) but I still might try a single model and see how I get on… But I’ve painted up almost 5 models out of 10 and I think they have come out very well.
Also this week a built my first few Vanguard Veterans, which I intend to chop up a little before I finalise them, and make them look a little more ‘Veteran’ (In other words, bling them up in the way 40k Veterans are). Here they are as is for the moment:
I’m going to buy some extra jump packs and I think I will magnetise the packs so I can swap out normal backpacks too. I doubt I’ll mess with magnets for the weapons on these guys, but maybe 1 or 2, using lignight claws or such.
I’ll have to see…